Thursday, January 26, 2012

Book Review : The Fountain Head part 1

Been reading 'The Fountain Head' by Ayn Rand from quite some time. Very powerful words, mind blowing details, great expression and very relevant themes. Was very impressed with the way it started. Felt like Roark is the man the world needed. As the story progressed, got more insight about Roark and Peter Keating. Roark became a bit predictive but was never boring. It was Peter Keating's character that impressed me very much. The way he doubted his eligibility, status as a famous architect and the way he got destabilized in the presence of Roark was very impressive. I had come across many Roarks and Keatings during my IIT days; Keatings who assumed the best positions in the worlds best firms and Roark's who were struggling their part in their 'hopeful' world. It was very good to read similar characters in print.



It was Dominique who stole my heart. Her character in general and her behavior in particular with Roark is awesome. Roark's character which was moving pretty straight forward took a sudden interesting turn with her entry in to his life. The story did take a form now. Keating's importance decreased. Toohey's role grew in importance and together with Dominique is doing amazing things to Roark which as a whole is making the novel very interesting. I can guess that Roark has got much to do in the next part of the novel. Eagerly waiting to read further. Will update you soon with the rest. Below is one passage from the book which I liked very much.



"How did you know what's been killing me? Slowly, for years, driving me to hate people when i don't want to hate...Have you felt it, too? Have you seen how your best friends love everything about you- except the things that count? And your most important is nothing to them, nothing, not even a sound they can recognize. You mean, you want to hear? You want to know what I do and why I do it, you want to know what I think? It's not boring to you? It's important?"


No comments:

Post a Comment